Minimum Requirements to be a Lifeguard
For the Town of Walpole
This is a partial listing of acceptable certifications. If your certificate is not listed below, please contact us to determine whether your certification meets our minimum certification requirements.
- Lifeguard training certification
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Training; or
- YMCA Lifeguarding
- First-Aid certification
- American Red Cross Community First-Aid & Safety; or
- American Red Cross Standard First Aid; or
- National Safety Council “Green Cross” 8-hour First-Aid course
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
- American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer / AED; or
- American Heart Association CPR for the Health Care Provider (Level “C”)
If you don’t have the necessary certifications, contact your local American Red Crosschapter for information on courses in your area.
Employment Test Information
All Walpole lifeguards must demonstrate competency and professionalism in rescue, first-aid, and CPR knowledge and skills. Lifeguard applicants must successfully complete the following pre-employment evaluation to be considered for employment:
- Timed 500-yard swim (20 lengths in a 25-yard pool) – must complete in under 11 minutes
- Recover 10-lb. object in 9’-12’ of water
- Passive victim recovery
- Active victim recovery
- Submerged victim recovery
You may use goggles only during the 500-yard timed swim. For your safety, goggles are not permitted during rescue skills.
We strongly encourage you to practice for the timed distance swim before you take the test. Experience indicates that many applicants overestimate their swimming ability in the early season. Begin swimming early to get ready for the timed swim!
What Do I Bring?
- Release of Liability (Signed by Parent/Guardian if under 18)
- Proof of Age (Birth certificate, driver’s license, etc.)
- Original certifications
- Bathing Suit & Towel